Monday, May 24, 2010

"The earth does not need me, but I do need the earth"

Although my eyeballs are close to completely dried out, I do not blame Rivers and Tides- at least not in a negative way.
It was fitting: it captured and complimented Andy Goldsworthy's vast collection of work. Some cuts seemed to tickle just as I would imagine stumbling across his work in the wilderness would. Others teased, showing clips of a nearly finished piece, only to later flash back to it being overtaken and put into play by nature. The merging of both diegetic and non-diegetic sound made the images on screen that much more satisfying.
As one of the first pieces we see Andy focus on for an extended period of time is swallowed by the sea, he explains that this process does not feel at all like destruction for his pieces are a gift he gives to nature, and nature accepts.
His admiration of movement and change was illuminated not only through his words, but through his actions as well. In fact, at one point towards the end of the movie he tells us that "words do their job, but what I do means so much more".
To say the least, I find his lifestyle and work incredibly endearing. Each new creation, no matter how simple or complex it was, how dark and deep or light-hearted, made me smirk.
His patience, intuition, and originality seem never ending. This film was refreshing and stimulating. Weee


In other news, frogs are taking over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment