Friday, December 18, 2009

You'd rather see me gone than to see me the way that I am

The stars are so bright here they light up the low clouds to an eerie warm tinted cotton candy. I stuck my head completely out of the window to and fro dinner, mesmerized. I’m such a nerd, I couldn’t wait to get home so I could document the beauty- I guess that’s what I get for living in the 21st century- and deleting my facebook. I still have that silly I-need-to-preserve-this-experience-and-everyone-else-needs-to-know-about-it-for-me-to-be-satisfied-itus (yeah, I know, a very long name for a very common phenomenon).

I’m full of a traditional West Indian “rito”: a yummy party of aldente veggies covered in that wild curry, wrapped up in a home-made wrap, served with mango chutney and, OF COURSE, good ol’ curly fries, yo. Also, I collected a fried plantain from each person who received a side of them with their meal, and I can’t tell you how glad I am for having done so. I’m talking about the moistest, mushiest, crispiest, sweetest, saltiest, bestest plantains ever, guys. Sorry for the food-rant, I was just figured I would be left with raw yams and white bread.

Wild dogs are howling. Maybe the stars have got to them too. Maybe they are the reason why the super skinny light grey kitty who I tried to pet earlier was such a scaredy cat. One has to be careful what they say on this island because the walls are deceivingly thin, or maybe the lack of sound filter is due to the constantly open huge windows hidden by slots which, from a few feet away, appear closed.

My mom was a bitch all day. Granted, it wasn’t the smoothest sail of our lives. We did christen a plane from Philly to Puerto Rico which turned out in need of downloads before it could take off, delaying us a bit. The isles were extra-wide and there were nifty touch-screens on the head of the back of the seat in front of each passenger with free movies, games, shows. Of course, I read “that Walden story” (as Susanne put it) the entire trip. That is some dense text if I ever read me some.

Once we landed, mommy’s hair began to poof and we all felt pretty good to be defrosted, but again, the little puddle-hopper plan got screwed the hell up and you know who was pissed off. “I’d rather do this everyday instead of do my job” says Dad, referring to the difficult travel. Sad. But he’s been in good spirits all day, for once, so PROPS.

I’m pretty glad I’m here, now that I’m here. I think I sort of forgot how much I love warmth and humidity or something. And I’m starting to get less afraid of talking to my dad about stuff. Mom’s just irrational right now, but we’ll let her go. Also, last night, mother nature reminded me that I am indeed a girl, again. Pretty inconvenient but whatev. The only bothersome things are: making small talk, and not being alone. I really just disagree with the majority of the things the adults in my life say right now, not to be a complete teen but, it’s hard to keep my mouth shut I guess. BLEH I’m getting negative? Goodnight.

P.S. On a happy note, I saw about 15 chickens sleeping in a tree tonight, free and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment