Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Pumped about lyfe

Getting really psyched about my vegan/vegetarian club at school. Would also love to expand it to the community as well. This morning I went to the club fair, set up my poster, literature, looped a movie on the good ol' MacBook, and forced people to try my mixed berry cupcakes with cream cheese icing (vegan of course, dummies). Never knew it would be so hard to convince people to take free food.
Anyways, after filling a page with names and emails, I came home and began a list of recommended websites and literature for anyone interested in becoming vegan or any curious cats out there. Don't know if anyone will ever see this or if anyone cares but here it goes:


LITERATURE!

Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating, Revised Edition
Erik Marcus
One of the first books I read about veganism- explains the vegan lifestyle from all angles, answers almost EVERY question you can have.

Animal Liberation
Peter Singer
What can I say- The dude roooolz. He started this movement in the '70s and like Zeppelin, it still rocks.

The Dietitian's Guide to Vegetarian Diets
Messina, Mark, and Virginia Messina
Everything you need to know from the health and wellness standpoint. Also probably the book your parents will be most interested in.

Fast Food Nation
Eric Schlosser
Basically "What goes on before they call your number." The icky, sticky truth.

Living Among Meat Eaters 
Carol Adams
Let's face it- they've got us surrounded!



INTERWEBZ!

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/  Subscribing to the magazine is not a bad idea. I have a lot of fun and have learned much from reading it.
http://www.theppk.com POST PUNK KITCHEN! You can see I'm excited. It's at the top of my bookmarks list; the chick who runs the site have also written many of my favorite cookbooks (Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World, Veganomicon, Vegan with a Vengence, etc.) To put it plainly, I would give up peanut butter for a week to hang out with Isa Chandra Moskowitz for a little while- and that's saying a lot.
http://www.vegan.org/Vegan Action's campaigns have made life a lot smoother for many vegans- also a great site for more resources! Check it out.


That list should start you off, anyone out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment